Saturday, January 3, 2009

Newspaper Books

For this set of three books I had been inspired by the newspaper book Chris Svensson had made. I liked the idea where a newspaper that had been designed by somebody else could be switched around but still have the same subject matter within it.

I set a system whereby I asked three people to close their eyes and place a book upon a newspaper each. Each newspaper was exactly the same. I then Drew around the book that each individual had placed, then cut out the area that had been selected. For each separate newspaper I placed all the pages into a bag and then let the individual pick out each page at random, placing them all on top of one another and then bound them via the Japanese stitch binding. These books are selected areas of the same literature, and the fact that each appears totally different emphasizes how unpredictable this process can result in.

No comments:

Post a Comment